During your first inventory, you’ll add items to your venue by scanning their barcodes. The barcodes are how items are pulled from the WISK database. Whenever an item is pulled, it includes all the data we have on file, including images and weights.
If the majority of your items have barcodes on them, it’s best to add them via scanning during the first inventory.
However, if you have a large number of items that do not have barcodes on them (for example, a collection of vintage wines), using our item upload feature can save you a lot of time instead of adding them manually.
If you already have a list of your items in a spreadsheet, it’s possible to upload them to WISK using our template. You can use the template to create new items and update existing ones.
Downloading the Template
1. On the WISK Web Portal, click “Items” then “Items”.
2. Click “Actions”, then “Import items from Excel file”
3. You can then download the template with your current list of items, or an empty template.
If you have already added items via scanning or a previous upload, you can bulk update information (distributors, costs, pars, etc). You can copy and paste the data from another spreadsheet into the template.
You can also add new items in blank rows. If adding a new item, make sure to fill out the four required fields at a minimum (See “Filling out the Template) below).
If you wish to upload new items. We only recommend this for items that don’t have barcodes on the physical item (certain wines, beer kegs etc), because WISK uses barcodes to pull items from our database to add them to your venue.
Scanning items is still the best way to ensure you’ll get the item weights and images from the WISK database. You can then download and use the existing items template to add your costs, distributors, pars, etc.
For example, if you upload Jameson 750ml in the template and leave the barcode field blank, and then you scan it in your venue, it’ll create a new item. You’ll end up with a duplicate entry for Jameson 750ml in your items, and need to merge them. Multiply this by however many items you have, and it becomes a lot of extra work to clean up your data.
Filling out the Template
There are 14 columns/fields on the template. You’ll need to fill in at least the following four fields to upload a new item:
- Item Name
- Volume (mL)
You can select the Family and Category from a list of options, but you can also create your own by typing in the field.
- Image URL
- SKU (Distributor Code)
- Case Size
- Par Level
- Order Format
- Full Weight (grams)
- Empty Weight (grams)
Note: If you make use of custom fields, you can add a column for it to the upload sheet. Just make sure that you have created the custom field in WISK first.
Uploading the Template
1. After you have filled out either the empty template or updated your list of existing items, click “Browse” and select the file.
2. Then click “Upload”.
3. The new or updated items appear in your list of items with the data you have populated in the template.
Note: If you're importing a large number of items, it may take some time to create them. You'll be sent an email notification when the process is complete.
For the best experience when uploading items:
- Add as many items as you can by scanning them so they are pulled from the WISK database
- If you have a large number of items without barcodes, use the empty template to add them to your venue.
- You can then download the template with the existing items to update any information (costs, pars, distributors, etc).