If you have a list of your venue’s items in a spreadsheet, you can upload them to your WISK account using our template. With the template, you can create new items and bulk update the information of existing items.
Note: You must use the provided template. If you attempt to upload any other file, it will display the following error message, and no items will be created or updated.
Depending on whether you’re using WISK Food or Beverage, there are different circumstances where we recommend using the item upload feature.
In most cases, the majority of beverage items have barcodes on them. The best way to add items to your venue is by scanning the barcodes of items while taking your first inventory.
When the barcode is scanned, it finds the match in the WISK database and adds it to your venue. Whenever an item is pulled, it includes all the data WISK has on file, including images and weights (if applicable).
If the majority of your items have barcodes on them, it’s best to add them via scanning during the first inventory.
However, if you have a large number of items that don’t have barcodes on them (for example, a collection of rare wines), using our item upload feature can save you a lot of time instead of adding them manually.
Food items, on the other hand, are less likely to have barcodes. For the smoothest inventory experience, we recommend that you upload your list of items prior to your first inventory.
Downloading the Template
1. On the WISK Web Portal, click “Items” then “Items”.
2. Click “Actions”, then “Import items from Excel file”
3. You can then download the template with your current list of items, or an empty template.
If you have already added items via scanning or a previous upload, you can bulk update information (distributors, costs, pars, etc). You can copy and paste the data from another spreadsheet into the template.
You can also add new items in blank rows. If adding a new item, make sure to fill out the five required fields at a minimum (See “Filling out the Template") below).
Use the empty template If you wish to only upload new items. As mentioned above, you’ll need to fill out the five required fields at a minimum.
As a reminder, if using WISK Beverage, we only recommend this for items that don’t have barcodes on the physical item (certain wines, beer kegs, etc), because WISK uses barcodes to pull items from our database to add them to your venue.
Scanning beverage item barcodes is still the best way to ensure you’ll get the correct weights and images from the WISK database.
For example, if you upload a bottle of Jameson 750ml in the template and leave the barcode field blank, and then you scan it in your venue, it’ll create a new item. You’ll end up with a duplicate entry for Jameson 750ml in your items, and need to merge them.
Multiply this by however many items you have, and it becomes a lot of extra work to clean up your data.
Filling out the Template
There are 16 columns/fields on the template. You’ll need to fill in at least the following four fields to upload a new item:
- Item Name
- Unit of Measurement
You can select the Family and Category from a list of options in the template, but you can also create your own by typing in the field.
Note: You can completely customize your families and categories as you see fit. When you upload the template, any new Families & Categories will appear in your venue.
When adding the size of the item, you’ll enter the quantity, then select the unit of measurement from the drop-down list:
- Case Size
- Image URL
- SKU (Distributor Code)
- Par Level
- Order Format
- Full Weight (grams)
- Empty Weight (grams)
- WISK Item ID (this is filled out automatically when you upload the file if there isn’t already a value in place)
Note: To see descriptions of each column in the template, hover your cursor over the column name.
If you make use of custom fields, you can add a column for it to the upload sheet. Just make sure that you have created the custom field in WISK first. Learn more:
Uploading the Template
1. After you have filled out either the empty template or updated your list of existing items, click “Browse” and select the file.
2. Then click “Upload”.
3. The new or updated items appear in your list of items with the data you have populated in the template.
Note: If you're importing a large number of items, it may take some time to create them. You'll be sent an email notification when the process is complete.
For the best experience when uploading your items:
- If you have a large number of items without barcodes (100+), use the empty template to add them to your venue before your first inventory.
- Add the rest of your items by scanning their barcodes during your first inventory
- You can then download the template with the existing items to bulk update any information if needed (costs, pars, distributors, etc).
- Upload your items using the empty template prior to your first inventory
- Create new Families & Categories as needed when filling out the template and they will appear in your venue